Amazon Delivery Guarantee Isn’t Really a Guarantee of Anything

amz1

Don’t get me wrong here, I love Amazon, never had an issue with them until now. I’m a prime member and everything else. Washing machine broke, need  anew part, it’s $130 locally but only $90 on Amazon and I have a Prime membership so I get two day delivery. Placed the order on Thursday and they said delivery would be Saturday the 26th, that was fine with me as it was expected with Prime 2day delivery. I then get an email with a ‘Guaranteed’ delivery date of Friday the 26th and I think, hey that’s great, a day earlier. UPS gets here with another package but not the washing machine part. I find out later that it was ‘missed’. Tracking says:

The package was missed at the UPS facility, UPS will deliver on the next business day.

So I’m like damn, that sucks. Then I thought about it and I was curious as to what exactly ‘guaranteed’ means so I emailed Amazon and apparently it really doesn’t mean anything at all. I emailed them and explained the situation and order via Amazon because it was less expensive and that I was a Prime member so two days wouldn’t have been a big deal to wait.

I never really got an answer as to what the guarantee really is, this was the extent of it:

Estimated delivery date is considered to be an approximated delivery date and Guaranteed delivery date is a promised delivery on that particular date mentioned.

The email goes on and they ended up offering me one extra month of Prime membership for the inconvenience. That’s nice and all but it doesn’t get my clothes washed.

So I still don’t understand exactly what ‘guaranteed’ means. Everyone else where you see a guarantee it’s like the pizza is there in 30 minutes or less guaranteed or your money back, or the product comes with money back guarantee, or a guarantee about you’re satisfied or your money back. Etc, etc… I’m sure I could list more and I’m sure you know some too..

The point is that the Amazon guarantee delivery date isn’t really anything at all. If it doesn’t get delivered on the guaranteed date then oh well, wait an extra day or so then. That’s it. They don’t back it up with anything.

Today I check the tracking this morning and as of right now at 12:25pm it’s still not going to be delivered apparently

The last update on the tracking is last night at 11:25pm. Every other delivery I’ve gotten from UPS the tracking status will say ‘Out for Delivery’. This one just says ‘Destination Scan’ that’s marked last night and nothing at all for today.

I’m guessing that I might have been better off spending the $130 locally instead of trying to save $40, sure I’d be out the $40 but my washing machine would be working right now. ?!

5 comments for “Amazon Delivery Guarantee Isn’t Really a Guarantee of Anything

1. Jake Defore
    December 12, 2013 at 1:42 pm

“That’s it. They don’t back it up with anything.” Except that they did back it up… with a month long Prime extension.

2. December 12, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I only got that because I asked about the guarantee… if I wouldn’t have asked nothing would have happened… If I wouldn’t have emailed them I would not have gotten that free month. So the point still applies

3. sam
    July 17, 2014 at 10:59 am

It is a meaningless tagline that they throw at you. I’ve often had things delivered past the guarantee date and they never do anything about it. Not worth my time complaining to the customer service folks, I save the energy for other battles.

4. Scott
    December 15, 2019 at 1:14 pm

This is why Bezos is the richest man in the world, I too like amazon for their deals and am a prime member but I have also experienced a number of shipment dates missed. Coincidentally every time it was when they use Canada post as a courier. That said a guarantee that means nothing is a LIE, not a meaningless tagline they throw at you. I return any product that misses the guarantee delivery date, if everyone did this they would pull up their socks in a hurry.

5. Kevin
    January 11, 2020 at 10:13 am

Over 6 years later and nothing has changed. Except the guaranteed date. I’ve seen that changed dozens of times. Says Tuesday when I place my order. But Wednesday or Thursday when I look at the order status. Shady shit for a trillion dollar company. I’ve even been told by a rep that it says “estimated” not guaranteed. Kind of insulting to have someone who learned English as a second language tell me I can’t read. Bottom line is they make money, lots of money, getting people to sign up with Prime on a promise they don’t back up if they don’t keep it. I’ll tell you this though. I’ve done it dozens of times. If you waste an hour of your life on the phone or chat and be persistent you will get some, if not all, your money back and still get to keep your order. In about an hour and a half on 2 seperate orders I got Amazon to pay for over $80 worth of our Christmas. And for 2018 Christmas they bought me a $120 snowblower. Probably spent an hour getting it but that’s not bad money. In short snowblower never arrived. They refunded all my money and sent me another one. Not the first or last time I’ve got free stuff from Scamazon. Thanks Amazon.