Do Not Use Sergeant’s Evolve Flea and Tick Drops on Your Dogs!

I applied Sergeants evolve flea and tick drops last night to my dogs. I have two Pitbulls who are 5 months old. I bought it because the store didn’t have our normal Frontline and I thought the company name and products were reputable. Within an hour of applying the product both of my dogs were acting weird and whining. This got worse as the night progressed, they didn’t sleep and neither did I. They whined, cried, scratched and twitched all night long and into the morning. When I let them out of their pens they ran around the house rolling around on the floor whining and crying, rubbing up against anything they could find, knocking over chairs and just being very odd. I did some research and found that there are thousands of complaints about this product, I wish I had knew this before the purchase as I would never have bought it. I bathed the dogs immediately first thing in the morning after reading about the deaths of other dogs. They only have it on for about 7 hours total, and they seem a little better. The scratching has subsided and they’re actually asleep now. As they’re sleeping they’re twitching though. I’m hoping I got to them early enough that no severe damage has occurred to them. I will never buy another Sergeant’s product for my pets again, and I will gladly tell others to stay away. I also bought the Sergeant’s gold for my cats, but I’m afraid to use it on them. I already opened the box so I can’t return it to the store. So basically I’m out the cost of both boxes now, what a waste. Why won’t they take these products off of the shelves if they know of these problems?!

So far no damage to my pets. It’s early though, and I hope they’re going to be ok. I think I got it all washed off early enough that it won’t cause any damage to them, but only time will tell really. My smaller dog does seem to have an irritation on her back, it feels matted and hard. The only economic damage is that I’m out the cost of two boxes of their product since I’m not going to use it on my cats now after reading about and then seeing the reactions in my dogs.

I filed a complaint already at Consumer Affairs, not that it’s actually going to do much good I’m sure. I’m amazed that they are selling this product, there are thousands of complaints about this and their other products out there. Dogs and cats are dying and getting sick because of them, but they don’t seem to care. The ones who survive are only doing so after costly vet bills…

So stay away from this product please…

EDIT – UPDATE:  Well it’s the same day, just late afternoon. The smallest dog, Samantha, has developed two of what look like chemical burns on her back. They’re seeping and rather nasty.. fun-fun, we’ll see what happens here.

EDIT: 6-23-11 – UPDATE

So things have gotten worse with Samantha.

Here’s a couple pictures of what this stuff did to my dog, warning they are a bit graphic:

37 comments for “Do Not Use Sergeant’s Evolve Flea and Tick Drops on Your Dogs!

1. June 30, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Oh my god, buddy, how are your dogs doing now? It’s been a week since you wrote this and I just saw it – that stuff is outrageous. I feel for your dogs and you, that’s just crazy. Thanks for the post. Surely if I were to put that on either of my dogs, who are 9 and 19 lbs., bad things would happen.

2. June 30, 2011 at 5:08 pm

It seems to be healing well actually. Got this stuff called Multidex, it’s a powder that you can sprinkle on and open wound that actually binds together to form like a bandage. Yet it let’s the wound drain if need be.

3. Debi
    July 10, 2011 at 8:03 pm

We purchased this item today because money was tight. We applied it to our year old chocolate lab. He started acting so strange. Like he couldn’t get comfortable and antsy. Our other dog seemed fine. It’s about six hours later and poor Otis the dog has heavy breathing, heart racing. I am scared. I have my daughter bathing him now. Hopefully he will be okay.

4. Chris
    August 2, 2011 at 12:51 pm

You should at least get your money back for those things. You obviously took pictures already, so just bring those to the store with the opened product, and complain to the manager. You could also email the pictures to the corporate office (assuming you went to petco/petsmart/etc), or to Sergeant.

5. September 27, 2011 at 1:00 pm

People who are used to applying Frontline in one location, which is correct for Frontline, sometimes apply the Permethrin based topicals the same way. Chemical burn will be the result. The directions say to apply the Permethrin based products down the back in several
    (4 or 5) places. if too much of the liquid comes out at one spot, the skin will burn. We name Frontline as the only product we can recommend to people sending their dogs to us for care, because it was developed to target neuroreceptors which mammals (except rabbits) do not possess. Permethrin makes my eyelids wiggle like I drank too much coffee! There are several “reputable” products which contain Permethrin, including Advantix, Hartz, Bio-Spot and most of the ones in the grocery store. Look for active ingredient “Fipronil” on newer products in addition to Frontline. Fipronil is fatal to honey bees, ants and rabbits, but very safe for our dogs and us.

6. Monica
    October 1, 2011 at 2:25 am

I put this crap on my dog two days ago and he is acting like a crazy beast. He has bumps all over his skin and irritation on his mouth and face. This stuff is super bad, I read over 100 stories about it earlier, killing, disabling and permanently affecting a dogs behaviour. I knew better to buy an otc med, but i was in a bind.
    Sharon, I cant believe you listed Hartz as a reputable product, that’s crazy talk. THat stuff has been linked to lots of deaths and health problems as well.

7. Julie
    October 19, 2011 at 6:53 pm

I used the sliver flea liquid on my cat and now he’s dying all his fur fell out won’t eat or drink I called the contact number they said it def sounds like he had a reaction to it but that’s about it. I’m so upset I’m gonna spread the word for no one to use this product on their pet. They said they will tell their consumer complaints dept. And they would call me back. I have had my cat for 5 years I’m so upset. I ask them how they could continue to sell a product that kills animal but of course they had no anwser. I feel so helpless.

8. Linda
    October 25, 2011 at 7:58 am

I used the Sergeants for puppies on my dog & it killed her within 2 days. I wish someone had told me it was poison.

9. Shelley
    October 28, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I used Sergeants on my border collie mix last night and about 7 hours later I was awoken to him convolsing on the floor. His hind legs were completely paralazed and he was foaming at the mouth. I called the emergency vet and they said to wash him with Dawn soap and try to get him to drink lots of water. And if he got worse to bring him in. He is doing much better already but is still a little uneasy on his back legs. His reaction was horrifying to have to watch and his poor body seems so tired. I was shocked to read the hundreds of stories about this product killing cats and dogs for years now. I am appalled that this is still on store shelves. Sergeants’ CEOs, lab workers, and any store that carries this poison should be prosecuted for animal cruelty. Please warn all your family and friends of this product.

10. Ashley
    November 15, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I just want to say I to had picked up the product to because it actually was the only brand sold at our Vons store here. my husband and I put the evolve on him. I decieded I wanted to do some research on the product because I had never heard of it, thank god I found this blog and thousands others. We just washed him and I pray nothing will happen, but if anything happens to my dog I am going to sue. It wont take much and I think you should too you have the pictures and the proof, just got to find the right people to talk to. If I do I will definitely let you know. THIS PRODUCT NEEDS TO BE TAKEN OFF SHELVES.

11. Christina Montoya
    January 5, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I wish I would have read this sooner. My dog Yogie (love of my life four legs wise), my mother in law bought this product for Yogie and her dog Sugar. And Yogie started with the exact same reaction. We scrubbed him down too and we have started rinsing him with cold water every 15 minutes. I swear if anything happens to my dog my 45 will finally get used!
    I think a CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT is the ONLY way we will be able to get this shit off of the shelves and save dog’s (pets) lives!
    Who knows a lawyer and how soon can we get it going?!

12. January 9, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Oh my God! PLEASE DON’T USE THIS PRODUCT…It nearly killed my two poodles….I used the correct dosages and after three hours they both were trembling and rolling frantically overthe floor……I bath them both with their dog shampoo and it didn’t seem to help. Went on line and read to use Dawn dishwashing detergent. Bathe them over four more times and after the fourth day, they seem to be doing fine.Thanks for all the help out there I will never recommend this product to anyone anyone ever.

13. Elizabeth
    January 9, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I have an 8 month old beautiful pure-blood line German Shepherd. Thank GOD this stuff didn’t kill her, but for a while, we were afraid we were going to lose her. Unknowingly, I bought the Sergeant’s Evolve at my local Safeway thinking it was similar to Frontline Plus which I’ve used several times on her with no ill effect. I applied this poison Evolve stuff EXACTLY like their instructions said to, but in only a few hours, my beloved doggie was falling down, bumping into the furniture and rubbing against anything she could find. My husband and I were frantic. We called the vet pleading for help. We gave her two baths in Dawn soap per his advice, rinsing, rinsing, rinsing, and eventually ended up in the emergency hospital for 4 hours in the middle of the night, where they gave her a shot of valium and observed her to make sure she wasn’t going to DIE. Days later, she’s still shaking her head and body back and forth like she’s trying to get something off her. UNBELIEVABLE the agony that one product caused our family! I’m telling everyone I know about this experience. If only I had known, i would NEVER EVER have bought that awful product. Shame on Safeway for carrying it.

14. January 10, 2012 at 9:24 am

Anyone who has ever used this product let anyone and everyone know that it’s abusing and killing our animals that we love so dearly. I bought this killer insecticide at Wallgreens and wrote to the District Manager to have it taken off their shelves. I am appalled that this so called reputable company is still selling this product that disfigures, burns, and kills our beloved animals….SARGENT”S PRODUCTS ARE TORTURING AND KILLING OUR ANIMALS……..DO NOT USE!!!!!!

15. jer
    January 14, 2012 at 4:01 pm

last night I (like the rest of you) used the sergeants evolve. My 10 month old lhasa apso had a horrible reaction. I washed him over and over again and gave him some Benadryl. The antihistamine along with bathing seemed to allow him to sleep. Today he seems uneffected, but mostly because I reacted very quickly. What a killer product. I cannot believe that there are products like this on the market. I hope the makers use it on their own pets.

16. Sherrie B. Porter
    January 20, 2012 at 6:12 am

I am so sorry that your pets had to go through this! I am looking for a flea treatment and prevention product for my puppy. Her name is Sapphire, and she is about 11 mo. old, and 11 to 12 lbs. I do not trust any of these over the counter products at all! She is my pride and joy…I love her so much. I am disabled, and she is my little therapy animal. What do you recommend that would be a safe, and non-toxic treatment option? You can e-mail me at…thanks so much..:)

17. Trisha
    January 29, 2012 at 3:04 pm

OMgosh! we had the same terrible experience with Sergent’s Evolve for dogs. Burning, itching, panting like crazy – I immediately gave my Bichon 2 baths and many wet towel compresses and took her to the vet when she was acting out of her mind. The vet gave her a shot and said next time to wash her in Dawn as it will break the chemical down better. So my daughters gave her yet another bath in Dawn. She’s had 3 days of rapid breathing, jumping and twitching and a chemical burn and lump on her back! If we didn’t act quickly I think she would have died. I don’t think she’s out of the woods yet! Benadryl does seem to help but watch on dosage levels. We should do a class action law suit to get this stuff out of the stores or people will continue to buy because of convenience and it seems cheaper but not in the long run! Plus this company needs to pay for all of the pain and suffering it has caused these pets and their owners. Count me in if any of you go forward in this.

18. Arlene
    April 4, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Do not buy Sergents Evolve! I repeat DO NOT BUY SERGENTS EVOLVE! We bought it because it was cheaper and now our 14 year Schnoodle is paying for it. She became very restless and could not sit still or lay still. This is the 5th day after and she seems to be calming down after two vet visits (one being after hours). Write to Sergents and let them know what has happened to your pet. If enough people write, maybe something will be done. I guess we will just have to dig deeper into our pockets to pay for the better stuff at the vet.

19. Terri Balcom
    April 15, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Chasing my dog around right now. It’s like she is on speed or something. Her heart is beating so fast and she can’t sit still. i just saw your post after researching the product. Should have done it before I put this on her. I just assumed that anyone putting out a product for dogs actually cared about them. Bathed her and will keep pouring water on her. Thank you!!

20. Jack Young
    April 28, 2012 at 6:29 pm

OUR DOG DIGGER IS FRANTIC RIGHT NOW HE HIS RUNNING AROUND BEING ODD.we dont know what to do if he isnt ok We’re Ready To Sue BIG TIME.

21. Sue
    May 25, 2012 at 11:41 am

Omg I god I used that on both of my dogs on Tuesday today is Friday….one of my dog is acting really strange also….twitching….scratching….rubbing on everything…can’t sit still..he is 100 lbs…I just gave him a bath and it seems worse…will be taking him to the vet if this doesn’t clear up

22. June 4, 2012 at 11:13 pm

My wife put this on our dog and within a couple of hours he was having a panic attack, no visual problems at this time.
    If this does anything PLUS lawyers to get rid of this problem. I will never use a Seargents product again. Please refund my monies

23. Theresa Kehagias
    June 26, 2012 at 9:51 am

We put the CRAP on our three little dogs last night and ended up taking them to the emergency Med-Vet. They started crying, scratching, twitching and could not get comfortable. I bathed them twice but no changes. The product had only been on them about 30-45 minutes by this time. Called the hotline number on back of box and was told to bath them in Dawn dish soap 3 times each and then put vitamin E oil on the locations where it was applied. Well my dogs had to spend the night at the Med-Vet where they bathed them again and had to give them an injection of muscle relaxer. Picked them up this morning took them home and ended up taking one back, he is there right now while I am stuck at work.(my brother took him) So far we have been told that we may need to treat him further with oral meds and have to get them through the next 24-36 hours. This KILLER product should be banned. How many animals need to get sick or die before something is done. I am BEYOND PISSED!!! I am thinking of talking to a lawyer. So far this freakin KILLER CRAP has cost me close to $1000 in vet bills, now I cannot and will not put a price on my little boys because they are FAMILY but this is UNCALLED FOR!!!! Please somebody give me good news that my little guys will be okay and normal. I hope to post update once I get more information.

24. Mary
    July 19, 2012 at 9:00 am

My husband and I made this same mistake. Money was tight so we purchased the Sergants Evolve 21 for our 14 year old terrier. After a short 2 hours he started acting the same way with lots of crying. When his behavior didn’t improve and I noticed irritation to his skin we took him to the 24 hour emergency vet clinic. After being up all night and getting blood tests done we received not so good news. The following morning we took him into his normal vets office and had yet even more tests done. As a result of using this product we not only are out the cost of the product itself but my husband lost a day of work since we couldn’t leave the dog alone because we had to monitor him, but we are out almost $700 in vet bills, and my dog now has permanent liver damage that he will need to be on a $48 a month medication for now. How is it that these people are still allowed to manufacture and sell this product? Has anyone filed a class action suit against them yet? Seems to me what they are doing should be classified as animal cruelty!

25. Krissy Rios
    August 14, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Goodness!! I just wanted to say a quick thank you very much for the testimonials. I was literally moments away from treating our little Yoranium with the Sergeants Evolve 11.

My little girl and I are relieved and so thankful.

Krissy Rios

26. Mary
    January 2, 2013 at 6:37 pm

I too purchased Evolve last night hoping to save some money. Horrible mistake! My peekapoo was scratching, twitching and wrestless all evening!! Luckily, I had only used about 5 drops being it was a new product. Thank goodness, otherwise it would have been much more worse as the stories I read above!!! Its like applying poison to your pets which we love like our children!!! Do NOT, NOT, NOT touture your pets with this product! The only thing that helped was washing him with dishwashing soap, Neosporin to red irritated area and I actually trimmed down his hair in the area applied. It will grow back. He slept on his back most of the night…it seemed to help! On my way back to the grocery store to complain and get a full refund!

27. Marlene
    January 26, 2013 at 2:01 am

OMG. I wish I had read all of these stories before I bought this crap. I have an 85 lb, 11 month old Akita named Raider, and I feel like the worst mama in the world. He is freaking out like I have never seen any dog do before. I can only describe it like LSD for dogs. It’s like he is hallucinating. The only way we can get him to be still is if we brush him constantly or we have to constantly be rubbing him down. We bathed him within a few hours of this reaction and he seems to be a little better. It has now been 7 hours and 2 baths, lots of wet floors, towels, clothes and my bed..but he seems to be calming a little. I should mention also, I am the one who gave him the treatment, and my nose and eyes are on fire. I have rinsed my eyes and washed my hands and face numerous times. If it feels this horrible for me, I can just imagine what it is doing to my poor dog. NEVER EVER EVER BUY ANY PRODUCT FROM THIS COMPANY!! THEY SHOULD BE PULLED FROM THE SHELVES AND PUT OUT OF BUSINESS!!

Thank you all for your insights and for letting me speak my mind.
    Marlene Kostiuk

28. Lori walnock
    April 16, 2013 at 8:21 am

I too purchased this product because it was a little cheaper than frontline and it said it had vit. E in it which I thought would be soothing….. So far from the truth ! I applied it to my 2 dogs ( 65 lbs & 45 lbs) Sunday afternoon and by Monday they were restless, panting, anxious,scratching, twitching, not able to sleep or rest. Bathed them Monday evening and have them on benedryl ….. Not much sleep for anyone last night – benedryl this morning and we will be bathing them again after work! Unbelievable that this product is still on the market ! I am telling absolutely everyone I know ( & don’t know) to never use this product!!! I would love to be involved in a class action lawsuit! We are still praying for our babies, and hoping there are no long lasting effects.

Lori walnock

29. Jessi
    April 22, 2013 at 1:05 am

OMG!! I treated two of my dogs today with the Evolve 21 product and my little min pin has been pouring saliva out of her mouth, utinating uncontrollably and waking sideways and biting and scratching at her self,
    Keeps rolling over and she seems to hurt real bad when I tough her hips.
    $135 later I just got back from the vet and they say that she’s been poisoned.. I didn’t know it was related to this Evolve 21 until I started reading the reviews!! My poor little baby. I also have a St. Bernard mix, she’s 13 bless her heart and I used two tubes on her she has been breathing extremely heavy (laborished)! I have washed both of them really well in dish soap and I will again in the morning. DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT IT’S DEATH!!!!!

30. Susan
    July 31, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Fipronil is NOT safe for anyone! It is listed as a possible human cancer causing agent by the US EPA. Also, it’s a hormone disruptor, so even though you may not see an acute symptom right away, there will likely be serious health consequences later in life. Hormone disruptors can trigger cancer, auto immune diseases, diabetes, thyroid problems, and other chronic illnesses.

I am in the process of putting some information together that has some science based research behind it. I can tell you that fleas and ticks are arthropods like mosquitoes.

Center for Disease Control has conducted some studies that show there are some less toxic horticultural oils that are as effective as Deet in repelling arthropods. Do not use DEET, it’s another of the toxic pesticides.

Look at the website by the end of October, and you will see some specific info on flea and tick control. Some of the alternative repellants that work include picardin, black pepper extract in some of the products. Lemon Eucalyptus and Gerinol from gerainum also works but they need to be in the right % of ingredients otherwise may be too dilute or too strong and be irritating. Citronella was very ineffective according to CDC.

Susan JunFish,
    Director, Parents for a Safer Environment

31. Guest
    July 31, 2013 at 9:44 pm

32. Susan
    July 31, 2013 at 10:20 pm

July 31, 2013

Here is a link for the MSDS for Seargent’s Evolve. I agree it should be taken off the market if all these incidents occurred to your dogs.

The following is a link to the MSDS for the product that lists the active ingredients:

You can google “pesticide info ______” with the name of the active ingredient and look for pesticide info coming up and it will take you to the PANNA dabase that will summarize in layman’s terms the toxicity of the chemical you’re putting on your dog under their toxicity summary. 60% of the ingredient is alcohol and it would not have burned the dog in that way, even if it was placed all in one spot. The 2nd ingredient, Cyphenothrin, is in the pyrethroid family and is listed as a hormone disruptor as well as a possible carcinogen. This also is listed to have moderate acute toxicity (immediate reaction), but I would be surprised if this was enough to create such wounds in the dogs. the 3rd ingredient is Pyriproxyfen, a hormone mimicker and is less than 3% of active ingredient. This may trigger long term effect on pets, but usually not acutely (immediately).

Sad that it takes consumer lawsuits to take products off the market. I do not use any pesticide products on the market that are registered pesticides. It is a buyer’s beware market. You need to educate yourselves before assuming what you buy is safe, whether it be for dogs or people.

If at least 3 of you have saved the products, you would likely be able to find a competent attorney who would consider taking on this case. Send your story and request only if you still have the remaining products or containers/boxes to

33. Trevor
    August 19, 2013 at 7:48 pm

I came home from work today and went to call my dog..When she came to me, she was walking funny and itching and twitching like I have never seen before. I checked her all over and could not find anything physically wrong with her. Then I asked my wife what has Happy been into today. Her response was that she has been acting weird ever since she gave her a bath and applied her flea treatment.

Unfortunately the treatment she bought from the grocery store was not a good brand. It was the Sargeants Evolve 21.

I have taken my dog to the shower and bathed her with her normal shampoo and trying to keep her relaxed.

If things are not better by the morning I will be taking her to the vets office.

34. Brad
    June 18, 2014 at 10:42 am

My 9 year old Shiba Inu is the latest victim of the Sergeants Evolve 21 POISON. Product was applied at 10:30 pm and I was woken up to her screaming in pain at 12:30am. I immediately washed her in Dawn liquid soap to remove the POISON. After 2 baths and no relief to her, I rushed her to the ER Vet at 3:00am. When I got there she was in a panic and yelping non-stop. They gave her a steroid shot, pain shot, and a seditive to help her to relax. It worked for 2 hours and then she was back in agony again. She is now at our family vet under 24 hour watch. Definitely one of the worst night’s of our lives. Still waiting to wake up from this nightmare! She doesn’t deserve this Poisonous torture and I’m praying she pulls through.

35. LF
    July 8, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Hi all! I’ve started a petition to Kroger to take Sergeant’s off the shelf. Please sign, and start one of your own. Enough is enough!

36. Debra
    October 12, 2017 at 10:55 pm

I bought evolve 21 and applied it to my two dogs did not seem to effect them at first but two day later one of them is acting really strange seems to be in pain on his rear end and the other one is not her happy self and they still have fleas I’ve bathed them 6 times in dawn I will be taking them to the vets in the morning please do not buy this product I’m afraid that the one is not going to live

37. Michelle Moore
    March 7, 2018 at 2:49 am

Well guess what? Evolve is still being sold as I just treated our 2 dogs tonight. Within a couple hours one of them-Remy, a female pointer mix-age 1 1/2 50 pounds acting crazy. She can’t calm down, seems agitated and breathing rapidly. Sneezing and scratching. I took her downstairs and washed with Dawn soap x2 and gave Benadryl. Then I started researching this product and thankfully the Dawn and Benadryl is what is advised. That explains why I felt super anxious tonight. I even felt shaky and odd. I was the one who applied the med! Got some on my hands. Washed hands immediately as always, but clearly it affected me too. Remy and I are a bit better. We’ll see. The other dog-Abby is fine. Washed it off her too though. This is crazy!