Fix for netflix error code n8156-6013

Ok… this has annoyed me to no end.. I pay for Netflix but I can’t use it now that SilverLight 4 has been installed..

I’ve read several things about this problem.. Netflix blames Microsoft, and Microsoft in turn blames Netflix.

I read about deleting the PlayReady folder, don’t do that then you’ll get the DRM error.. uninstalling PlayReady doesn’t work either so don’t try that either.

I’ve read that it’s because I’m running Windows 7 64bit…  we’ll never know what the problem is and frankly I don’t care I just want it fixed, but for now I’ve got a fix..

The ONLY fix right now is to run an older SilverLight or SillverLight 3… Netflix has updated their site so you can’t get it from them now, they have only version 4…

I’ve just spent the last hour or trying to find SilverLight 3 and it’s nowhere to be found for download so I did something a bit sneaky and right now as I type this I’ve got Full Metal Jacket playing in the FireFox in the Netflix player on my other monitor.. SUCCESS!

I bet you’re wondering what I did..

Well go to the Microsoft SilverLight 3 SDK page here:  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=1ea49236-0de7-41b1-81c8-a126ff39975b

but you won’t be downloading the SDK.. you’ll scroll down the page to Instructions and find the link for this:
“To build Silverlight 3 applications, you can install Silverlight 3 for Developers here.”

Here’s a screen capture, it’s the last line..

That will let you download essentially what is Silverlight 3 or to be exact it’s version#: 3.0.50106.0

and voila you now have Netflix that works!

If I were you I would make a backup of that file you downloaded somewhere as I have done myself..

Enjoy your movies!!

UPDATED: another part of the fix here: http://www.kristoferbrozio.com/2011/03/07/fix-for-netflix-error-code-n8156-6013-updated/

191 comments for “Fix for netflix error code n8156-6013

1. June 25, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Had the same error with Netflix and a search of the error code brought me here. Installing Silverlight 3 from your link fixed the problem for me. Windows 7 x64. Thanks for posting a fix!

2. June 25, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Glad I could help.. It was really p*ssing me off to no end that I couldn’t watch Netflix anymore.. I get some DVDs, but most of my use is through streaming and I was determined to find a fix for it and I did..

3. DJC
    June 28, 2010 at 11:03 am

Called Netflix about this, and the issue is DRM and obtaining the license after the Silverlight 4 update. The Netflix Silverlight application running on Windows 7 x64 cannot write to this pre-existing file:

C:\media\seven-lt\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady\mspr.hds

If you have other DRM content (besides Netflix content), if you follow this procedure, you may not be able to access your old stored content on your hard drive.

It’s very simple really. First, go ahead and let your system upgrade to Silverlight 4.

Close all browsers and/or Windows Media Center. To preserve the old data (should your need it), rename mspr.hds to mspr.hds.old (or something like that). When you run the Netflix application again, it will create a new mspr.hds file, and Netflix streaming content should be available again.

The tech I spoke with at Netflix said they were using an undocumented Silverlight feature and/or an implementation that was not standard for DRM and that’s what caused the problem with the Netflix application.

4. June 30, 2010 at 5:54 am

Well I don’t know about that.. I tried again to install Silverlight 4 and netflix would still not work

5. elteebee
    June 30, 2010 at 8:57 am

Thanks for the silverlight 3 link. That fixes it for me.

6. July 1, 2010 at 7:27 pm

7. William
    July 2, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Renaming mspr.hds worked for me as well.

8. July 4, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Hi – I was having this problem after upgrading to Vista sp2. After trying to watch a Netflix online movie, i looked online and found the same solution about Silverlight 4. I uninstalled and ran Netflix instant watch to install Silverlight 3. The error didn’t go away. I realized I had changed the system time back 1 month to allow a beta version of another program to continue working. I tried changing the clock to the correct time, and Netflix Instant Watch started working.

9. Jesse
    July 7, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Okay well I’m tempted to give things a try but kind of worried on something. About the only DRM stuff I have on my system are some music from Zunepass subscription. If I delete/rename this file so Netflix can make it will my zunepass music still work?

10. Thomas Mueller
    July 9, 2010 at 6:09 am

After running the battery down in my laptop watching netflix, i had the same error code N8156-6013 when i rebooted the next day. I checked the system time/date and it was reset to January 1st. I adjusted it to the correct date and all is good now. I was nad still am using Silverlight 4. Bottomline: Make sure your PC’s date and time is correct.

11. July 9, 2010 at 6:21 am

I think you just got lucky with the time changing thing there.. I’ve tried it again with SilverLight4 and it won’t work for me, so I’m back to running Silverlight3 again.. it works, I’m happy

12. BVfan
    July 10, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Thanks for the SL3 link. WMC NetFlix worked like it is supposed to, finally. I have W7 Home Premium 32 bit.

13. david
    July 12, 2010 at 9:24 am

THANKS… figured it was something on netflix’s end for the past week, as i never noticed a silverlight update, this took care of it though, no longer a problem, running win7 x64 as well.

14. July 12, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Yes, thanks for this fix. I just replaced the motherboard and CPU on my Windows 7 x32 machine. Windows made me reactivate but Netflix refused to play anymore. Reinstalling Silverlight4 did not help but your SL3 trick did work after I restarted Chrome. My netflix experience has been so great, this is the first problem I have had. I hope they fix it soon.

15. IR
    July 12, 2010 at 10:25 pm

“Make sure your PC’s date and time is correct.”

Hey Thomas Mueller that did it for me!

16. Nerdburg
    July 15, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Renaming mspr.hds worked for me too.

17. mememe
    July 17, 2010 at 7:48 pm

That link is for the Windows application. Does anyone know of one for Macs? I very positive that Microsoft does not provide their SDKs for Macs. Same as Apple does not provide any for PCs. Sucks, I guess I’m gonna have to cancel Netflix.

18. obama
    July 19, 2010 at 8:51 pm

THANKS DUDE IT WORKED =D

19. heyyy
    July 26, 2010 at 3:11 am

link for macs please?

20. netflixwatcher
    July 27, 2010 at 12:00 am

Renaming it worked great. Thanks a ton.

21. netflixuser
    July 30, 2010 at 8:22 pm

“Make sure your PC’s date and time is correct.”

That worked for me as well! Thank you!

22. j.l. holland
    August 11, 2010 at 6:44 pm

i have been working on this for days and days. with and without netflix tech support. which was kinda less tech and more support. silverlight just kept going back to version 4 update. so with your help and the added security of no never not in a million years update silverlight, i can now watch ian mcshane play an evil bishop again. i love you. almost as much as i love ian mcshane. thanks.

23. August 18, 2010 at 10:01 pm

FOR MAC USERS: After an hour or so of searching for a MAC link I finally found it! Go here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=7e3f6c16-1339-49bc-a60c-ddc6c3a54850 and at the bottom download ‘runtime\Silverlight.3.0_Developer.dmg’. After you uninstall Silverlight 4 this should work. I read somewhere you might have to clear your cache so I uninstalled 4, cleared my cache in safari, restarted the computer and then installed Silverlight.3.0_Developer and it worked! Hopefully this works for you because after (only a day) without Netflix I was trippin out!

24. Phil F
    August 20, 2010 at 7:17 am

If you’re using a Mac, the mspr.hds is the culprit. Deleting that file will fix the problem. Just remember after you delete it, it may take 10-20 seconds before Netflix player starts the movie because it first has to recreate the mspr file. Here’s where that file is:

HD > Library > Application Support > Microsoft > PlayReady > mspr.hds

Quit the browser, delete the file, relaunch the browser. Voi la.

Phil.

25. Don
    August 20, 2010 at 12:48 pm

I got the same error code with the Mac (Snow Leopard) – after finding this page, I dug up the Silverlight 3 dmg file and reinstalled – voila, everything began playing again normally. Netflix should be paying you for support! Thanks so much – Don

26. Zb
    August 20, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Okay, so now netflix has made it impossible for their users to use SL3… and my computer still has the error code once I install the latest version. Using SL3 was my solution as well up until now. Any new suggestions/info on this issue? I even canceled my membership and am now admittedly, missing my instant watch of movies.

27. Zb
    August 20, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Okay, I changed the file name like mentioned above and that worked! Love whoever you are!!! 😀

28. August 21, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Worked as a charm…Thank you very much…brillant!

29. August 22, 2010 at 10:04 am

Yep, worked for error 8006. I’d deleted .lproj file I didn’t need. Silverlight didn’t appreciate my harddrive cleaning. Reinstalled Silverlight 4.0, deleted the file. Works. Guess MS wants to litter your harddrive.

30. Jacob
    August 22, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Renaming mspr.hds worked for me in WMC on Win7 x64. Thank you person.

31. lindsey
    August 27, 2010 at 10:12 pm

It worked!! Yay!!!!!! THANK YOU!

32. John
    August 29, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Great fix. finally solved this ongoing problem that no one else seemed to know what to do. By the way my problem was on an upgraded 32 bit windows 7 untlimate system so I had a different issue but the fix worked.

JC

33. Christian
    August 30, 2010 at 1:42 am

or you could go to filehippo.com and do a search for silverlight then download whatever version you want.

34. henry
    August 31, 2010 at 6:48 pm

A delete of mspr.hds worked for me, thanks! (OSX 10.6.4)

35. fattire
    September 1, 2010 at 1:19 pm

It worked Thanks!

36. Nick
    September 7, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Got the fix but netflix wants me to get the latest version of silverlight and there is no way around. Suggestions?

37. Paul
    September 10, 2010 at 11:12 pm

Chalk another one up for the file rename/delete fix

On WinXp, the file is in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\PlayReady\mspr.hds

38. iCantTELL
    September 11, 2010 at 10:05 am

Rename worked for me to. Thank you.

39. Donmega
    September 14, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Sweet 8lb baby Jesus!! It worked for me as well.

Thanks!

40. MikeS10
    September 16, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Thanks – that worked – now i have to make certain it doesn’t get updated by microsoft – cheers and thanks

41. JF
    October 6, 2010 at 8:15 am

Rename didn’t work for me, but the downgrade to Silverlight 3 did. Win7_x64. I’ve been stuck with this issue for 2 weeks. Thanks so much for the info. Netflix support tried to tell me it was sporadic performance from Comcast, despite the fact that my notebooks and Wii didn’t have issues over wireless, while my wired main computer continued to have these issues.

42. Verbosity
    October 9, 2010 at 4:27 am

After months of logging off my user account to access shutdown w/out installing updates the Renaming mspr.hds worked for me. I also found it in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady (Windows 7 64 bit).

Just a FYI to those who haven’t gone to Windows 7 yet: unlike earlier versions, when you go to your shutdown menu while logged in, you no longer have an option to shutdown without installing updates if you use notify without installing option. Without 3rd party options (or command line interface), you need to log off FIRST and then use the arrow selector on the power off button on the login screen.

No matter, just tested SL4 w/Nexflix Watch Instantly. I just wish Nexflix had put the fix in the error message so that I could have fixed this months ago. Time to re-enable auto-update and regain my security updates.

43. AuntiePandora
    October 9, 2010 at 8:38 pm

that renaming worked! I recently put a new harddrive in my laptop as well as more RAM. obviously it screwed things up. but 10 mins later, netflix is back on! wohoo!!

44. Danny
    October 12, 2010 at 7:57 am

I run Netflix through Firefox with OSX 10.6.4. Changing the name of the mspr.hds file in /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/PlayReady fixed the problem with Netflix giving the error code N8156-6013.

45. Sachacat1
    October 15, 2010 at 10:34 am

I have a Mac and I was having a problem with Netflix’s “Internet Connection Problem – error code N8101-106”, which kept coming up anytime I tried to watch and instant movie. I tried to uninstall Silverlight v.4 and install v.3, spent a lot of time and had many problems, and still, the same error code would come up. So, today, I discovered that the problem was created by the built in Firewall in my Mac. The firewall was turned on, and I didn’t know it. Once I figured that out,the solution was this: I added Microsoft Silverlight (the software that Netflix uses to play instant movies on your computer) to the list of software allowed to accept incoming connections to the computer. To get to the firewall, click the apple symbol, then click on “System Preferences”, then click on “Security” and on “Firewall” at the top. If the firewall is on, you’ll see a green button and it will say it’s on. Click the padlock at the bottom to make changes, enter the username and password for the administrator account of your mac, then click on the “Advanced” button on the bottom right. Look at the list of software that is allowed to accept incoming connections to see if Silverlight is on the list. If it isn’t, click the “+” (plus sign), and the applications folder will open. Click the blue scroll tab and drag it down until you see “Microsoft Silverlight”-click on it to select it and click the “Add” button at the bottom right. Close out the security window, open your Internet browser and go onto the Netflix website. Sign in and test it to see if you can then watch an instant movie. For my computer, this is what finally did the trick! Good luck!

46. paul (ann arbor)
    October 16, 2010 at 3:09 pm

struggled with about 5 different fixes before stumbling across yours. worked the first time (had to re-boot, but i have an older system). now watching my netflix! thanks!!

47. Brad
    October 19, 2010 at 1:36 am

Worked great! thx!

48. cornel
    October 28, 2010 at 7:57 am

I am running windows 7 64bit with silverlight 4. To watch Netflix instant play all you need to do is run the browser as administrator (with administrator rights, right click browser icon on desktop -> select run as administrator)! There is no good fix available @ the moment. Hope this helps !

49. dcmodder
    October 28, 2010 at 5:24 pm

win7 x64 here. found file in c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady\mspr.hds. changed to mspr.hds.old. started up wmc, netflix said configuring video player, working.

50. djm7
    November 12, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Thanks Kristofer. It worked for me first try. I’m sure you saved me hours of frustration.

51. Lauranda
    November 14, 2010 at 12:25 am

I’ve been watching Netflix on my PS3 for months now and last night decided I wanted a quick 30-min sitcom on my computer. Got the error. After reading through these responses, I looked for that file to delete but I don’t have it. I’m running XP. SO, this morning, I deleted Silverlight 4 from add/remove in control panel, and downloaded 3 from cnet. WORKS!

52. slice
    November 17, 2010 at 2:03 am

Sliverlight is horrible!

53. Steel_Venom
    November 24, 2010 at 12:53 am

Oh my gosh this worked!! thank you so much for figuring out what the issue is!! I’m so glad I can finally watch netflix again!

54. vidrineg
    November 24, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Uninstalled 4 installed 3 and it worked thank you so much Gary in Louisiana

55. gavin
    November 27, 2010 at 8:19 am

going in circles carnt find mspr.hds file also tried installing silverlight 3.0 but netflix wont let me watch movies untill update as soon as i do that back to problem error please help if u can thanks

56. gavin
    November 27, 2010 at 8:24 am

forgot to add windows xp sp3

57. Shelley
    December 4, 2010 at 12:16 am

Thank you so much! That totally worked!

58. william
    December 6, 2010 at 9:45 pm

renaming worked for me too thanks alot pissed me off too with the netflix silver light bull crap

59. Chris
    December 9, 2010 at 11:30 pm

I got the same experience from Netflix today. Their final suggestion was that I contact Microsoft. They had me right click on the browser icon and run the browser as administrator. That worked. Not sure I like that, and I don’t know if I want to change the Silverlight version — will it mess up iTunes, Finale Notepad, etc. stuff?

60. Leon
    December 15, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Win XP – had same problem: netflix n8156 error/date problem

Couldn’t find the mspr.hds file, must be Apple based

Tried a number of other fixes from other sites – didn’t work

Uninstalled Sliverlight V 4

Installed the Microsoft SilverLight 3 SDK and all is well with Netflix.

Thank you for the fix!

61. Timmy
    December 16, 2010 at 1:37 am

Worked . . Thanks for the fix . My frustration is finally over .
    🙂

62. Big Zac
    December 17, 2010 at 9:57 am

The link to developers silverlight 3 work like a champ for me, running Win7 32 bit.

63. Steven
    December 18, 2010 at 5:14 pm

You’re Awesome. Thank you

64. Mike
    December 20, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Thanks for the resolution…solved my frustration as well!!!

65. December 22, 2010 at 7:58 pm

just adding the old to mspr.hds worked for me too, Windows 7 64
    found it here too C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady.

66. December 22, 2010 at 7:58 pm

just adding the old to mspr.hds worked for me too, Windows 7 64
    found it here too C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady.

67. Stephanie
    December 23, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Thanks so much!!!!

68. CrowsFox
    December 26, 2010 at 6:30 pm

You ROCK!! Thanks so much!! I went with renaming the file and Netflix is up and running again!! Thank you SO much!!!

69. Melissa
    December 28, 2010 at 8:15 am

THANK YOU!

70. matthew
    December 29, 2010 at 3:03 am

THANK you very much! that link worked like a charm as soon as i download it and installed it it was fix!

71. matthew
    December 29, 2010 at 3:03 am

fixed* lol

72. Purelica
    December 29, 2010 at 3:01 pm

I have the same problem (Silverlight 4, on Win 7 64-bit), except for a few certain movies only, just weird. Not sure how to fix this. If anyone has any suggestions, I’d love to hear it. Thank you in advance. Btw, happy Holidays to all!

73. JD
    January 1, 2011 at 11:30 am

THANK YOU! I clicked your link for ‘here’ up above in the screen shot, downloaded it, and installed it. Worked great. Of course UNinstall Silverlight4 and do a reboot before installing v3. I’m on W7Ultimate 32bit. Netflix online had no information about the error code and the Netflix download points to v4. Why can’t they fix it? Ugh . . .

74. Rick
    January 2, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I called Netflix and they had me open Run window enter %programdata% then in the microsoft folder open PlayReady and delete the file mspr.hds and it works fine. It will delete and protected content licenses in windows media center.

75. Someone
    January 13, 2011 at 8:39 pm

The renaming of mspr.hds worked for me!

76. JD
    January 13, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Thnk you so much for saving me from huge headaches…deleted any/all silverlights…went to the Microsoft link and installed the silverlight 3 for developers; restarted the pc and it’s all greatness; now if we could get Netflix to have better resolution..lol

Went from (Vista 32bit) to (Win 7 64bit) professional…along w/ new 2TB’s of HD and for time being 4GB of memory

77. jessie
    January 16, 2011 at 11:25 am

i dont understand any of the mumbo jumbo….any suggestions for us non-techi people?

78. FK
    January 17, 2011 at 8:34 am

renaming the file worked. I have windows 7 64 and Silverlight 4

79. jessem
    January 17, 2011 at 11:03 pm

rename worked for me

80. henry
    January 18, 2011 at 12:16 pm

running win xp pro, service pack 2. I’ve tried all above and nothing works for me. Called Netflix and they could not figure it out so they referred me to MS. I called MS and they too could not get it to work. I’m still stuck. I can not even upgrade to ie8. I get an error message of (can not find Crytographic service on pc)Not sure what that is about but with ie6 I can not even log into netflix anymore. I down loaded firefox which lets me log in but then gives the error code.

81. henry
    January 18, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Okay, I did some research on the Crytopgraphic error message and it was the cause of my issue with netflix not playing. The following link has an application that fixes the error.

Step 1:

Download the indispensable Dial-A-Fix application and extract it to a memorable folder.

82. January 18, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Well it worked even though my time was dead on from my home domain controller!!!!!

83. January 18, 2011 at 4:18 pm

For the non techies… go to controle panel and uninstall silverlight 4.0.x.x ( if not sure uninstall all silverlights versions )then click on the above link that the poster did above with the word HERE

That will install silverlight 3 and you will be up and running!!!

84. Chris
    January 23, 2011 at 3:18 pm

You don’t need to install or uninstall anything. Just do the following:
    1. Close all browser windows
    2. go to folder:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\PlayReady\
    3. Rename the file “mspr.hds” to something like “mspr.hds.old”
    4. Reopen browser and try again.

Worked for me (I called Netflix and this was what they told me to do)

P.S. This is for Windows XP. If you have other OS, call Netflix. They will help you.

85. PaoPao
    January 25, 2011 at 12:19 am

Oh man! after countless hours of searching a fix for my mac this is the only one that fix it!!!

86. January 29, 2011 at 8:49 am

OH MY GOD YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!!!

87. beastie29a
    January 29, 2011 at 10:16 pm

This fixed my Win7 64 bit system:

“Renaming mspr.hds worked for me. I found it in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady”

I actually removed it and that worked.

88. January 30, 2011 at 5:46 pm

thanks guy the developer.exe works great

89. Jim
    January 30, 2011 at 11:52 pm

Soo…….I’m a MAC guy – and I deleted the mspr.hds file and everything worked perfectly – for one day. Now, I’m back to square one and don’t know what to do. My mspr.hds file is still deleted, I’ve changed my DNS to 8.8.8.8 (that’s worked for other people), I’ve made sure the firewall is turned off, and still nothing. This is the MOST FRUSTRATING THING EVER and I don’t undertstand why Netflix hasn’t fixed this yet. It’s been MONTHS!

90. Shekey
    February 3, 2011 at 2:27 am

Thanks for this fix! Finally finished building my new computer and glad that I can now enjoy my favorite pastime on it!

91. Aaron @ TST
    February 3, 2011 at 7:20 am

renaming mspr.hds also worked for me in Mac OS X 10.6.6 w/Google Chrome & Silverlight

92. Robothairgel
    February 9, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Renaming the C:\media\seven-lt\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady\mspr.hds file worked perfectly for me – we’ll see if it keeps up.

93. Chris
    February 9, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Worked for me on my Windows 7 32bit laptop.

94. Drew
    February 10, 2011 at 11:41 am

Hey Thanks Chris your fix worked!!!!! I shall repost verbatim what Chris posted

Chris Says:
    January 23rd, 2011 at 3:18 pm
    You don’t need to install or uninstall anything. Just do the following:
    1. Close all browser windows
    2. go to folder:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\PlayReady\
    3. Rename the file “mspr.hds” to something like “mspr.hds.old”
    4. Reopen browser and try again.
    Worked for me (I called Netflix and this was what they told me to do)

95. T'd Off
    February 10, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Having the same problem with an acer aspire 5745 (win7 x86)…i’ve tried both the downloading silverlight 3 and renaming methods; neither has worked…is there any other possible soulution?

96. Michelle
    February 11, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I’m running Vista 64 bit and renaming mspr.hds to mspr.hds.old in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady was an immediate fix, thanks for the information to you all.

97. Dave
    February 11, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Finally works. Eventually had to go with Google Chrome after playing with settings for 2 weeks, after trying every option suggested here and at MS support. If MS and Netflix ever get together I will likely return to IE just because I’m used to it but this works as a last ditch way to keep Netflix working. Thanks for the help.

98. Spoons watchin a movie
    February 12, 2011 at 10:45 am

thanks for the program data > playReady tip. Fixed it fast! the install for the other thing (version 3) did not work for me, but mspr worked like a charm. Thanks again!

99. friend
    February 14, 2011 at 2:27 am

deleted the mspr.hds file and it worked for me, mac OSX 10.6.4

100. T
    February 14, 2011 at 2:31 am

Thank you so much! This issue completely ruined netflix for me until now! I didn’t know what to do so I just resorted to sending angry e-mails to both netflix and silverlight. Awesome share. 🙂

101. February 14, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Found detailed instructions here on how to fix this stupid dadgum problem:

102. Titan
    February 15, 2011 at 1:18 am

I have the latest version of Silverlight. All I did was delete the PlayReady folder and plist. Then relaunched and all was well again. Hope it helps.

103. ciao
    February 22, 2011 at 2:27 pm

can’t install 3 for developers because there is already a newer version installed.
    7/64

104. Lala
    February 23, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Just installed Silverlight 3 for developers and Netflix is back to working. Thank you!!!!

105. February 25, 2011 at 1:21 am

Went to the link you provided and downloaded the SDK silverlight 3 and Netflix is working again. Thanks for the fix and the link.

106. BlankTim
    February 28, 2011 at 9:01 am

Renaming mspr.hds to mspr.hds.OLD worked for me.

107. Jeremy
    March 4, 2011 at 1:07 am

Does any one know of any other possible fixes? I have Vista 32bit and have upgraded from Silverlight 2 to Silverlight 4. I can’t find the file that is supposed to be deleted/changed and my computer won’t let me access the Silverlight 3 link.

108. Rick Shafer
    March 4, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Renaming C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady\mspr.hds worked for me on Windows 7 32-bit. Thanks!

109. NolanBruce
    March 5, 2011 at 7:30 pm

What others have said regarding mspr.hds works. Just delete it, and Netflix will automatically contact silverlight and recreate it with the correct date and information.

110. March 8, 2011 at 12:07 am

Another Mac user here with 10.6.6 and deleting the PlayReady folder worked for me…. thanks everyone for all the great help.

111. Gregory
    March 11, 2011 at 6:38 pm

The rename “mspr.hds” to “mspr.hds.old” from Chris worked for my system. (Thank you!)
    I’m running 32 bit XP on 64bit system; Silverlight 4. I’ll just copy what Paul said:

Chalk another one up for the file rename/delete fix
    On WinXp, the file is in:

112. Jeff
    March 12, 2011 at 10:20 am

Installed the Silverlight for developers as mentioned above, still did not work (using Vista Home Premium). Then tried Firefox instead of IE and had success! Don’t know if Silverlight 4 will work with Firefox, but it seems Microsoft Silverlight won’t work with Microsoft IE (DOH!)

113. March 17, 2011 at 6:28 am

Just rename the file located at c:\programdata\microsoft\mspr.hds to mspr.hds.old and resume your netflix que, it will reset your movie player and then you will be able to watch netflix streams

114. Jer
    March 19, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Magic!!!!

115. March 20, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Just had the problem on my Mac too. As others, quit Safari, deleted the file
    /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/PlayReady/mspr.hds
    and restarted Safari and all was well.

A reboot was not required.

116. Maura
    March 29, 2011 at 8:48 am

THank you so much! Deleting the PlayReady folder worked like a charm. I have been looking FOREVER for this fix.

117. Elvin
    March 29, 2011 at 7:33 pm

FIX for Safari on the Mac.

The mspr.hds is the damaged. Deleting that file will fix the problem.

HD > Library > Application Support > Microsoft > PlayReady > mspr.hds

Quit the browser, delete the file, relaunch the browser

118. Crash3D59
    April 5, 2011 at 1:43 pm

In Win7 64 bit the file is located in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady folder, I renamed the file as mentioned above and everything works great now. Too bad Microsoft (because it is in their folder) and Netflix can’t get together to fix this for everyone!

119. Rezno
    April 8, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I did exactly what you said, and now it works like a charm, Thanks =D

120. Rachel
    April 9, 2011 at 11:17 am

Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this, but I had a problem with being unable to locate the folders that various sites say the mspr.hds file is located in; they just don’t show up. I am running Windows 7 (32-bit). I managed to fix it by doing the following:

Signed out of Netflix.
    Cleared the browser’s cache (in Firefox, Tools->Clear Recent History->check the “cache” box) (Not sure that this is necessary, but I figured it couldn’t hurt.)
    Opened my C: drive.
    Searched for “PlayReady” (in C:).
    After a bit, the location of C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady appeared in the search results.
    I opened that result in a new window, and mspr.hds was in it (that was the only file there).
    Renamed it to mspr.hds.old.

I then signed in to Netflix and attempted to use the watch instantly feature. It now works perfectly, and there is a new mspr.hds file in that folder. I can only assume the folder is hidden somehow, as when I try to navigate there without using the search function, I do not have a ProgramData folder or a PlayReady folder anywhere that I can see. I have tried every suggestion that others have given, and this was the only way I was able to find it and fix the problem.

121. Brett
    April 11, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Please help me. I have been getting the same error and then i read this blog and tried to install silver light 3 and now I am getting a new error that says my internet connection is preventing playback which makes no sense b/c my interent is working great. the error code is n8156. Any help would be much apprecaited.
    thanks

122. FOSH
    April 12, 2011 at 6:01 pm

YOU ARE A GOD AMONG MEN MY FRIEND!!! THANK YOU IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM!

123. ethan De cohen
    April 14, 2011 at 8:36 pm

thanks pal!

124. Hailey
    April 18, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Re: Phil for mac users

THANK YOU!!!! You fixed it!

125. Jason
    April 20, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I renamed “mspr.hds”. tried Netflix again and it worked. It created a new mspr.hds file.

126. Danielle
    May 8, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Thank you so much!!! It worked!!!!!

127. Lani
    May 8, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Silverlight 3 worked great and allowed to me to watch movies when I couldn’t before. But, now netflix has made it impossible to watch a movie without downloading silverlight 4 first. Every time I try to watch a movie there’s an annoying ad and no way to continue watching the movie until I click the “Install Now” button. I’m getting really frustrated. Does anyone know how to get around this stupid ad?

128. Jennifer
    May 11, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Genius. You made my day better! Thanks

129. David
    May 13, 2011 at 10:04 am

Excellent info! Renaming the file worked for me. Found it at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\PlayReady\

I had tried doing a file search for mspr.hds, but it was a hidden file on my system so wasn’t found in default search.

Thanks again!

130. Micah
    May 16, 2011 at 6:56 pm

On OSX Snow Leopard and the file rename fix worked. Thanks!

131. Tree
    May 21, 2011 at 1:01 am

OMG~! Thanks for the fix… Netflix couldn’t even help me fix it… tried RealPlayer and it’s cool for Hulu and other DLs… but this save was genius!

132. ShadowKnight
    May 23, 2011 at 1:01 am

Thanks!!…took Me 4hrs trying to figure this out till I Read Your review with the netflix silverstream problem..I should of never updated it…anyways…good job…

Maybe Netflix should Hire You for their system problems solving. 😉

133. May 28, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Hi,

Thanks! Renaming the mspr.hds file to old help resolve the stupid netflix problem!

TC!

134. MinMan
    May 30, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Renaming the file or deleting worked for me!!! This is a development issue on Microsoft side. Netflix is clueless 🙂

135. eod
    June 2, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I tried to delete the mspr.hds but when I looked in the PlayReady file folder there was nothing there. I have no idea what to do. I have a mac version 10.4.11

136. Sroot
    June 3, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Rename worked like a charm for me. WIN XP SP3

137. Dava4444
    June 4, 2011 at 11:20 am

@Paul Sep 10 2010

thank you, this fixed it for me.
    God Bless

Dava

138. denise ward
    June 13, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Thank you. i didnt really want to call them and i am really glad you helped! Now i can finish bones 😀 Thanks so much.

139. amy
    June 13, 2011 at 6:10 pm

It worked! Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge.

140. SeaMoss
    June 17, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Deleting files in :
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady

Running windows 7×32

141. Eric
    June 18, 2011 at 3:24 pm

This this happen to me twice now. Here is the information so that you can save the phone call.
    Found this online and it worked for me. Via http://blog.mbreo.com/2011/03/fix-for-netflix-error-code-n8156-6013-mac/

When you try to play a streaming movie from Netflix and you get error code n8156-6013, this means that he mspr.hds is the damaged. Deleting that file will fix the problem.

HD > Library > Application Support > Microsoft > PlayReady > mspr.hds

Quit the browser, delete the file, relaunch the browser

142. June 18, 2011 at 3:26 pm
  143. June 21, 2011 at 7:26 am

Thank you very much for this great information, this should be post in Netflix’s from page!
    Peace…

144. lisa moore
    June 25, 2011 at 5:33 pm

The Silverlight3 link worked perfectly…….thank you sooooooo very much. I don’t have a lot of patience and I was about to lose it when I kept getting that stupid error message. Thanks again for allowing me to watch Damages again.

145. rich1234
    June 27, 2011 at 8:56 am

Netflix has way too many subscribers, they had to find a way to cut down on the membership, what better way there is to turn away customers? –Use Microsoft garbage!!! The whole reason I use Mac is to stay away for Microsoft, but sadly, Microsoft’s garbages are like cockroaches, there is no way to eradicate and I have no place to escape. Ever since the Silverlight update, my Watch Instantly became jerky, audio and video are out of sync. the DRM error, at least I finally solved the DRM error issue. The solution is in a typical Microsoft
    way, hacked into the Mac file system, delete the Silverlight plugin and all Silverlight related files, (boy, how I wish that will delete Microsoft permanently from the face of the earth.) Then reinstall the f&*% piece of $h** all over. But the movie is still jerky, called Netflix and they blame it on my internet connection. They have no answer when I ask them why the Netflix app on my iPhone using the same wifi has absolutly no problem, to which I already know the answer– because the Netflix app does not use Silverlight.

146. June 27, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Thanks for the update. It worked just as per the instructions.

147. Mike P
    July 4, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Renamed the HDS. AWESOME FIX! Screw Netflix!

148. Lou
    August 2, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Renaming the mspr.hds file to mspr.hds.old worked for me, no need for uninstalling and reinstalling of silvrlight and it takes less than a minute to do once the file is found.
    W7 64 bit – C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady

149. LoganCale
    August 17, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Deleting mspr.hds from the “C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady” folder worked for me as well.
    After I deleted it, I also had go into the silverlight configuration and re-check the box “enable download and updates to components required for protected content playback” box.

150. Taya Matoy
    August 17, 2011 at 11:36 pm

So, I am not computer savvy at all, and I can’t figure out how to rename the file. Where do I locate this file to begin with? Can someone please just walk me through this step by step, please?

151. NizZ8
    August 19, 2011 at 1:18 am

Thanks for sharing this…uninstalling Silverlight 4 and installing the developer version worked!!!

152. KBJ
    August 19, 2011 at 7:31 pm

THANK YOU so much for this fix! Phil F’s instructions for Mac users did the trick for me.

153. TheOldMan
    August 21, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Run IE in administrator mode and the DRM problem goes away.

154. Jean
    August 22, 2011 at 11:55 am

Though this is something of a necropost, I want to include an answer here for anyone who encounters “internet connection problem error code N8156-6018” trying to use Netflix streaming on a Mac.

I am running version 4; I did not have to downgrade to version 3.
    This has worked to fix this problem every time I have had it.

To correct Netflix playback error code N8156-6018 on a Mac:

1. Right click on the playbar in the browser window containing the errors.

2. Select ‘SilverLight Preferences’.

3. Go to the ‘Application Storage’ tab.

4. Select the entry “http://movies.netflix.com”

5. Click the ‘Delete’ button to remove stored files associated with that web address.
    Note, this does not disable storage, it just deletes currently stored files. Think of it as ‘clearing the cache’ for this website.

6. Repeat steps 4 & 5 for any other entry in Application Storange containing netflix.com in the address.

7. Reload the browser window.

Your movie should now begin to play.

155. JJ
    August 24, 2011 at 3:18 am

Running silverlight 3 worked great for awhile. Now when I try to stream a netflix movie – I get a screem that says, “you are almost ready to watch, you must upgrade to silverlight 4″………

I can’t seem to get around this – anyone have a fix – so I can still run SL 3?

156. j m
    August 24, 2011 at 2:33 pm

For Windows 7 – 64 Bit what finally worked, was to run firefox/IE “As Admin” the and select something to view on netflix. After the initial movie loads, I was able to continue watching them without running as admin on firefox/IE again. No more stalling out at 98%. Posting here as this was close to the first hit that came up when searching for a solution (the delete and reinstall did not work for me, and i did not want to revert to a newer version of silverlight).

157. Clare
    August 27, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Anyone who has had this problem and figured it out please help.
    I am still getting error N8156-6003, i went through the whole deal with microsoft, they fixed it by installing silverlight 3 I believe and then it updated itself and the error reappeared. Boo! Anyways I have have tried fixing it again on my own by uninstalling SL4 and installing SL3 but when I try to watch a movie I get the AD telling me to update to version 4 for better quality and there doesn’t seem to be anyway around it. Its driving me crazy. Im not sure if I missed a step or if I need to do a little something extra.

I know others have had this problem and Im hoping someone has figured it out.
    Thanks for any help!!!

158. neill
    August 29, 2011 at 5:02 pm

same issue. 3 worked fine now it “have” to update to 4?

159. Scott
    September 8, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Hours and hours of wasted time and this was the fix…amazing!!! I love you!

160. John
    September 9, 2011 at 7:26 am

Same issue. Has anyone figured a way to avoid installing the update?

161. TobyF
    September 15, 2011 at 12:42 am

Tried several of the suggestions above for my generation 1 Macbook (running OS X), what worked for me was:
    1) log out of Netflix (don’t just close the browser)
    2) delete mspr.hds
    3) delete Netflix application storage under Silverlight preferences (follow Jean’s advice above)
    4) delete the Microsoft PlayReady .plist file
    5) reboot
    Anything less didn’t have an affect, except to delay Netflix startup

162. John
    September 29, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Netflix Error Code N8156-6003
    Netflix do not want to use Silverlight version 3, they will insist that you upgrade and that will be to Silverlight version 4. So the removal of the mspr.hds file in C:\Application Support\Microsoft\PlayReady\ mspr.hds”, was the fix for me. I did however rename the file just to be sure that it would work before deleting it.

163. October 5, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I fixed the Netflix/Chrome/Mac issue by following this checklist:

164. Lou
    October 17, 2011 at 9:25 am

Easier fix: Use the file search function in your version of windows (I like the search companion. That dog is the best lol) and rename mspr.hds to mspr.old. MAKE SURE you log out of netlfix completely. Actually log out of the site and then close the window, in case you have the password saved. Bingo. Worked like a charm for me.

165. tony
    October 27, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I TRIED IT ALL! none, of this worked, so i just got fed up and deleted the damn PlayReady file. and VUALA! now im watching Tony Manero (a man upsessed with the movie Staying Alive ahahah.)

166. Jesse
    November 23, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I LOVE YOU MAN IT WORKED!

167. Si
    December 6, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I tried all of the above. None of this worked. Uninstalled SL4, put back to SL3, renamed the mspr file, then tried deleting it instead, tried firefox, tried IE, tried chrome. Tried it on different computers. Only thing that could get me to resume normal service was to try another suggestion, on the main sign in page, not using the member sign in area, instead using the “sign up for one free month” page, entering in all current account membership details, allows me to sign in, view actors pages and watch movies. Conclusion: this is a netflix problem, not our computers and or software, and it’s been going on for the last 3 years as far as i can see from complaints online. Problem for me only started a few weeks ago even though we’ve had this membership for a year, but others have been complaining about it since 2008. Gotta love the way the FAQ page on netflix is as simple as the village idiot and gets you nowhere, nor the fact there’s no way to email them to ask if they’re going to resolve this issue. No, you gotta phone the retards and wait to speak to someone who will only tell you anyway that there’s no problem with their systems and that it must be our computers/software – despite notifying them it’s been tested on multiple computers and devices with the same problem. I suppose the quality of the help department reflects the amount you’re paying – ya don’t get much for only $8 thesedays.

168. Purelica
    December 13, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Yay, I finally *fixed* the problem!! What I did was I cancelled Netflix. 🙂

169. del
    December 23, 2011 at 6:32 pm

After 2 weeks of trying everyfix I could think of (even upgrading my bios)after I installed a new hard drive- renaming the file worked on my Windows XP system.
    THANKS!!!

170. December 28, 2011 at 4:42 pm

“Only thing that could get me to resume normal service was to try another suggestion, on the main sign in page, not using the member sign in area, instead using the “sign up for one free month” page, entering in all current account membership details, allows me to sign in, view actors pages and watch movies.”

This worked for me. No changes to Opera, IE, or Chrome. I just went to the Netflix website and subscribed again with the same credentials.

Windows XP.

Regards,
    tesla000

171. willy
    January 16, 2012 at 1:39 pm

renaming it worked on xp. thanks much !

172. Chip
    January 21, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I searched for the file in XP. I found it and renamed it. It WORKED.

The file was found at the following location in Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\PlayReady

THANKS

173. Snickers
    January 23, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Hey guys,

I was having this same problem and finally got it fixed! It might not work for you, but its easy so worth a try.

Disabling enhancements in Sound option.
    Go to Control Panel > Sound> Select Speakers and Properties > Click on Enhancements tab > Disable all the enhancements > Click Apply.

That’s all I had to do to fix my problem- everyone’s different, but it might help someone out there 🙂

174. Musearm
    February 5, 2012 at 4:43 am

Thanks!!! Renaming worked for me to:)

175. Jim Muse
    February 10, 2012 at 6:38 am

MacBook Pro OS X (10.7.3)

The removal of the mspr.hds file in C:\Application Support\Microsoft\PlayReady\ mspr.hds”, was the fix for me.

Thanks, everyone.

176. ironClad
    February 25, 2012 at 11:08 am

Renaming the file in C:\Application Support\Microsoft\PlayReady\ mspr.hds to mspr.hds.old wored for me.

Thanks everyone!

177. TRUE
    March 2, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Try synchronizing your computer time and day with the internet time. It worked for mine. Netflix was able to stream without doing anything else.

178. March 7, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I have a windows 7 x86 system. I tried your method but Netflix told me I had to update Silverlight after already downloading yours. so I updated my silverlight from the 3.0.50106.0 back to the 4.0 wich failed in the first place. it’s a never ending cycle. got any advice ?

179. Ryan
    April 14, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Chris rename fix worked for me. Windows XP.
    Thanks a bunch!

180. maddy
    June 1, 2012 at 1:06 am

omfg bless your soul praise jesus that worked so well danke

181. mike
    July 1, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Rename trick worked for me. XP machine upgraded to windows 7

182. Jack
    July 16, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Netflix & MS can go to hell. I previously in past subscribed to Netflix without any issues I stop the subscription and haven’t used Netflix over a year. Now when I tried using it crash my Silverlight was 4.x after contacting Netflix I was told to get latest which is 5.x still crashing they ask me to contact MS who is very hard to be contacted. I think I will cancel this subsciption, its waste of my money still Netflix doesn’t bother to help me fix this issue.

PC is Win 7 x64

183. Jack
    July 16, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Doh! Forget to mention my issue was N8206

184. Drumm
    September 23, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Thank you!

185. elie
    October 3, 2012 at 10:11 pm

OMG THIS WORKED FOR ME (MAC OS 10.8.1) THANK YOU TOBYF!!!!

TobyF Says:
    September 15th, 2011 at 12:42 am

1) log out of Netflix (don’t just close the browser)
    2) delete mspr.hds
    4) delete the Microsoft PlayReady .plist file
    5) reboot
    Anything less didn’t have an affect, except to delay Netflix startup

186. mr who
    December 14, 2012 at 8:18 pm

mspr.hds changed this and works fine.. thank you